Saturday, January 9, 2010

Persuasion (1995)


I decided to link the photo to a trailer for the movie! Isn't that fun? Now you can watch the promo for the movie and really see if you would want to see it yourself!

From IMDb:

"Eight years earlier, Anne Elliot, the daughter of a financially troubled aristocratic family, was persuaded to break off her engagement to Frederick Wentworth, a young seaman, who, though promising, had poor family connections. When her father rents out the family estate to Admiral Croft, Anne is thrown into company with Frederick, because his sister is Mrs. Croft. Frederick is now a rich and successful Captain, and a highly eligible bachelor. Whom will he marry? One of Anne's sister's husband's sisters? Or will he and Anne rekindle the old flame? Written by John Oswalt {jao@jao.com}"



I watched this movie last night (Netflix instant play!). Emilee had reviewed the movie here a few days ago, so I recognized the picture and gave it a shot. I have to say that when I found the link to the trailer a few minutes ago I thought the movie sounded much more dramatic than it actually was. The story was very good, but the romance between the two main characters was not developed as deeply as they make it out to be on that preview. What I did find in this movie was that the class system is so completely divided and it clearly shows in this one more than others I have seen. I thought the lady main character did a great job of showing how she identified with both classes shown and how her desires tore her between her personal desire and that of her family. Although, the relationship between her and her family is not very deep at all and it shows.

I agree with Emilee that the actors and actresses in this movie are not very pleasant to "look upon." ha ha. Anne is so very plain and her sisters are really ugly!!! Maybe that is what they wanted?! (esp for the sisters) In fact, they look like they have not even one speck of makeup on, which I guess would have been realistic, but then they way overdo on those who do wear makeup, to the point of it looking horrible so I guess that is making a statement as well?

I have never read Persuasion, but now I may put it on my read list. The plot was interesting and of course a bit confusing as there are always interesting plot twists in these types of stories. I don't know if it was my computer or what, but I had a difficult time hearing the speaking in the movie. It was so low I could barely make it out sometimes at all!

Overall, if you are in the mood for type of movie you will probably enjoy watching it, but only if you are home and have it on hand. I would not have wanted to spend theater money to see it.... :)

3 comments:

Bekah said...

The book Persuasion in route to my mailbox, so maybe after I finish it I can watch this version on my netflix. Yes, I think I shall.

Andysbethy said...

I love Persuasion, but it is not my favorite of the Austen's, even in book form. However, I don't dislike anything she writes. (I do think that pretty much everything is better in book form, rather then movie form... but that's just me)
I will probably watch the movie, just because I can, sometime when I get it from Emilee, but we'll see.

Laura's Reviews said...

Persuasion is my second favorite Austen novel after P&P. I actually like this movie version. I think it does a good job of bringing the story to the screen. I also think it improves after watching it a couple of times!